A Weekend Trip to San Diego
Do you ever feel like you just got to get out of town and have some fun? When my job starts to drag. I want to be in a place with mild weather. beautiful beaches, and some fun culture to check out. I know a place where you can always find a cheap flight from Phoenix. A short flight and everything I’m looking for is right here, in San Diego.
What is there to do in San Diego?
Skip the biggest tourist attractions and check out some of these cool places;
- Mission Beach – This is the beach for people watching. Ride the boardwalk on a rented beach cruiser or just throw out a towel. It’s crowded but its a party.
- La Jolla Cove-Beautiful scenery and great nature. Rent some fins and a snorkel and dive through kelp forests and rocky reefs. Sea lions, eels, and bright orange Garibaldi await
- Casa de Estudillo-Walk into a Spanish mansion from the missionary era of California. White Adobe building with staff in costume recreating history.
- USS Midway Museum – You can tour a real aircraft carrier used in World War II. A floating city that housed 200.000 men. There are restored aircraft and cool flight simulations,
- San Diego Zoo – World famous zoo is one of the biggest and most important in the world. It houses thousands of rare and endangered species. As a bonus, you are walking through an incredible botanical garden with exotic plants for different ecosystems around the world.
What about Dining and Nightlife?
San Diego has everything. Great 5-star restaurants, taco stands, plenty of delicious seafood, and rocking dance clubs. In the heart of historic downtown at the Gaslamp Quarter and walk the Promenade. Right next to the water and Petco Park you will find everything you need for a night on the town. Hit up the Greystone Prime Steakhouse and Seafood for a fancy meal or late-night seafood binge.
If the grungy dive bar is more of your scene, there is no shortage of that. Think about this, within a few miles of each other. UC San Diego, San Diego State and University of San Diego, comprise 3 of the biggest party schools on the west coast. Go down to Mission Beach any night of the week and the bars will be bumping and the neighborhoods crawling with hard partying young people.
Gimme Something Unique to Do
From Downtown, you can jump on the trolley and be in Tijuana, Mexico in no time. Cheap beer, wild clubs, souvenirs. But, my favorite place in TJ is the Jai Alai Fronton Palace. Place bets from your seat in a wild scene out of the movies. It’s awesome!
A Special Place
Finally, I have to share with you a place that has been special in my family for generations; Hotel Del Coronado. Have lunch in the cafe and you’ll sit on the veranda where Marilyn Monroe. Humphrey Bogart. Charlie Chaplin, and FDR used to hang out.
I love to catch a cheap flight from Phoenix. After less than 30 minutes in the air. I’m here. Fun stuff to do and perfectly mild weather all year. You can’t go wrong.